yesterday: a rant

Normally I love jumping on the T, wandering up and down Newbury Street and generally having a lot of things to do around the city. Yesterday was one of those days where everything seemed to go wrong or be an absolute annoyance. Where to start.. well, I woke up with a headache - never a good start to the day. My night's sleep was light and I woke up five times, sweating. Even though I had a slightly restless night, it was extraordinarily difficult to get out of bed. I almost fell, again, getting out of the slippery shower. It was extremely cold outside and the harsh wind literally swept me off my feet. I began my day with a difficult microeconomics exam at 8:30 in the morning. Note: never take a morning economics class, it is brutal, especially when your professor is from Argentina and has a thick accent. I then decided that the jeans I bought at Allsaints Spitalfields the day prior were not the color I was looking for, and if I spend nearly $200 on jeans, they must be exactly right. Before I could return my jeans, I had a meeting with my academic Advisor on the other side of Beacon Hill (where my economics class was just an hour before). I lugged my exhausted self back over the Hill and had a stressful meeting. Every class I thought I should register for next fall was all wrong and I found that, although I don't need to take a math class for my major, I need to take a computer science course - ugh. After my unfortunate meeting, I jumped on the Green line over to Newbury Street. I first stopped at a new vintage shop next to the Copley Station. They sell everything from Yves Saint Laurent to Louis Vuitton, and even Peter Som. I normally find some gem of a sweater or gorgeous sterling silver earrings, but this time was a total miss. I tried on a Ralph Lauren little black dress and again, a miss. The style was all right - but the dress was two sizes too big. After my great discouragement, I finally arrived at Allsaints. I returned my jeans for store credit, which is good because now I don't have a choice about going back sometime soon. They just got their spring collection in - I forced myself to leave. I want to wait to do most of my Spring &Summer spending until early April, once I can afford to make a huge hole in my checking account.

I rushed back to Tremont Street so I would have time to eat and write a bit before my volunteer work at a local center for the homeless. At this point my headache was still lingering, which gave me no appetite. I forced myself to eat an orange, blueberry chobani, and teddie peanut butter on wasa. I then lugged my ass back over Beacon Hill to meet with the other volunteers before heading out to the homeless center. The snarky girls in the S.O.U.L.S office turned myself and five others away from the event because they would only take the first two or three students on the volunteer list - of course I would be number five. How ridiculous is that? They turned people away who were there to volunteer at a soup kitchen - ugh, again. So instead of volunteering last night, I'm volunteering to read books to prisoners in Quincy on Thursday - the Prison Book Program. I'm actually quite excited to do this. My sociology professor first told me about this program, which only happens about once a month, and I'm very happy that I can be a part of it. The only inconvenience is that I have a huge paper due the next morning at 9am and the event ends at 8pm. Oh, did I mention it's a response essay about the event on Thursday night. Great.

I ended the night with a small tub of cookie dough ice cream and lots of hot green tea. I sent out emails, vacuumed, and organized my closet. I was too exhausted to do my laundry - so now I have to do it today. Oh and I had to finish a bibliography. I did all of this before, after, and in between watching period piece movies. The night before I watched "The Duchess," which got me on a period piece kick. So last night I watched "The Young Victoria" and "Marie Antoinette." Bed at 2:30 am.

This might not seem like a bad day to some people, but most everyday I'm very positive and make light out of little, annoying things. I also usually enjoy having to run around the city - that's one reason why I decided to live in Boston. For some reason I couldn't find any room to make light out of anything that happened throughout the day. Although, I can now look at yesterday in a few positive ways ~ I got hours of exercise without going to the gym, I was able to see new Spring collections in several stores on Newbury, I watched a couple of entertaining movies, and I now get to volunteer at an event that interests me. Still, because of my negative attitude, I consider my day to be one to forget. I also miss my love. hmph.

I hope everyone else had a better day than I did. Daylight savings in four days. Bring on Spring!


Yesterday's lipstick: Chanel Rouge Coco, Talisman



Comments

  1. well your day sounds so much more glamorous than mine - i had to postpone a shoot because i was feeling under the weather. i drank enough tea to drown a small cat. i saw the new spring line in cvs. annie's barbies dress better than i do these days. my closet is in such disarray that at this very moment i have disassembled it and now i have to put it all back together again.!
    when spring has sprung we'll jaunt around back bay together with tallulehbelle my nikon. xo
    ps - love the lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually, cvs is now selling essie nail polish.. and the spring line is very pretty. ha ha sorry, just trying to cheer you up. hope you had a better day today. can't wait ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts